Someone called me an optimist the other day; that’s new. I used to be the most pessimistic person I knew (quote: “It’s a nice day outside? Ughhh now I can’t stay inside all day and play computer games. Total mega sadface!”). Yikes! :P When I started this blog, I planned on changing that and I believe I finally have obtained a positive attitude.
So I thought I’d post some steps I took in the road of developing a more positive attitude:
- Healthy lifestyle: It’s amazing the difference a healthy diet and exercise regime makes. You feel so much better and have more energy to do the things you want to do. Don’t forget to get plenty of fruit and vegetables- the bright colours alone are enough to put me in a better mood!
- Get up early every morning: During the college semester, I had to get up at 7am every morning. When I got the holidays, I got into the bad habit of sleeping in late. But getting up after noon each day made me feel like I was totally wasting the day. Now I’m into a routine of getting up at 9. Makes a difference when you feel you’re not totally wasting your life.
- Look for the best in your “enemies”: Write down at least one thing you like in someone you dislike. It’s not always easy, but when you try and see their better side, it’s easier to let go of any hatred or bad feelings. And losing all that negativity is such a load off.
- Make time for your hobbies: Set aside some time each day for the things that make you happy- whether it’s music, art, walking or whatever. Even if it’s only for ten minutes, it’s important to have time for yourself to do things that make you smile.
- Write down your dreams: Get a notebook and write down your goals and dreams and any time you feel even a little down, just take a look at that notebook to remind yourself of what you’re working towards.
- Have time for people: We all need alone time every so often, but it’s also important to stay in touch with family and friends.
- Try something new: Whether it’s trying new types of clothes or taking up dancing, you might find something you really like in an unexpected place. I went to a new cafe- I liked it so much, it’s now my regular.
- Write down three good things: Write down three good things that happened to you in your day (or more if you want to) no matter how big or how small. It really helps you focus on the positives.
- Accept yourself: We all have insecurities and things we don’t like about ourselves but if we can’t change them, then we need to accept them. For a long time I focused so much energy into hating the things that made me insecure but when I finally accepted my flaws, I felt so much happier because I wasn’t carrying around that negativity anymore.
- Surround yourself with positivity: I found blogging was something that helped me a lot because I could read posts by people who had such great attitudes and it helped keep me motivated on my own goals. Surround yourself with people who have a positive effect on your life and cut out those who deliberately have a negative effect.
- Take a You day: Take a day off whenever you can to just totally relax. Don’t think about work or school- just the freedom of this awesome day off.
- Stay motivated: Life isn’t always easy. No matter what we’re doing, we’re going to face obstacles. But the key is getting through them. When things get tough, don’t quit. Stay hopeful and determined and you’ll get to your destination in the end.
Hopefully you’ll find something here useful anyway :)
Thanks for reading