I’ve tackled my first new recipe for my Cooking Challenge: beef stir fry.. without stir frying. Funny story about how this happened- I planned on making beef stir fry and had bought all the ingredients. Then I realised the gas was gone in the house so I couldn’t fry anything. I didn’t want to waste the food and I was really enthusiastic about it, so I cooked it all in the oven. It turned out really nice- I may have overcooked the beef a bit, so it was a bit tough, but it’s a learning curve. If anyone’s interested in trying this, here’s the “recipe”:
- Beef Stir Fry (I bought this in Lidl- it’s just strips of beef ready to be fried. Brand is called Inisvale)
- Vegetable Stir Fry (bought a packet in Tesco containing fresh vegetables like onions, cabbage and peppers, but there’s plenty of other packets too). To be fair, this kinda felt like cheating, but it’s just so convenient and healthy. I did cut up an avocado though and added it :)
- Cook beef on top shelf of oven at 200 deg Celsius for 15 mins (I cooked mine for 20 mins which was probably a bit too much). Then turn the strips and cook on the other side for 10 mins, until both sides are deep brown.
- Put the stir fry vegetables in an oven tray. Place on bottom shelf until they’re just crispy.
- Once cooked, throw the lot in a bowl. I added a bit of soy sauce, black pepper and lemon to flavour.
- Add colourful and groovy napkins to distract from any shortcomings in your cooking.
What do ye think- any one tempted to chance it? Apart from overcooking the meat, I was really happy with how it turned out. Still alive anyway, so that’s a good sign!
Next month, I’ll probably do more food prep with the vegetables. Not sure what will be on the menu yet, but stay tuned :)
Hope you’re all having a lovely weekend :)
Thanks for reading